Painted Deacons Bench

in , , , by Julie Nichols, July 02, 2015
Hi, there sweet friends!  I hope you're enjoying your summer so far.  

I plan to finish a few projects while my kiddo is away at camp. She is training to be a camp counselor in a very challenging but fun program.  One of the projects I am tackling today is painting the deacon's bench.  This project has been on my mind for a while and today I am finally taking the plunge.

I wanted to see how the deacon bench would look on the front stoop.  I placed it against the siding of the house. A perfect fit, however, I did not like how all the cracks, dings and chips showed in the sunlight.  I thought a fresh coat of paint would do the trick to bring this precious piece out of its tired state.  I gathered my paints and supplies and went to town to give it a paint-lift.  { a face-lift for furniture}.  Here it is before the paint-lift.  At first, I felt guilty covering up the original stain. After it was painted I was happy with the results.






Here is what I used for the paint-lift.

 First I filled in the long crack with wood filler, wiped the bench off of any dust and then painted.



I experimented with a Tintable Sample Deep Base paint (eggshell) from Sherwin Williams.
It's a great price and goes a long way!


YIKES!
This is what it looked like after it dried.....Not very pretty right??  I nearly freaked out until I did the next step......
MIXING  a paint sample jar of Valspar latex paint called Satinado a MINTY GREEN to the base paint.  This did the trick and I started to feel happy again.
To protect the paint from the rain I sealed it with a protective finish.
I used Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss.


HERE IT IS AFTER THE PAINT-LIFT

ALL DRESSED UP AND READY FOR SUMMER!




You can still see the crack but not as noticeable.














Thank you to those who stopped by for a visit to my
Hooray for summer home tour- living room.  It made my day reading all your lovely comments!
 Here is the link for anyone who might have missed it...


WISHING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A SAFE AND FUN FILLED FOURTH OF JULY!!

SHARE 9 comments

Add your comment

  1. Wish I had such a bench:-)
    It looks lovely on your front porch:-)
    Love it!
    Happy 4th of July:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute. I want one. Perfect for a porch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful trasformation and a perfect fit for your porch!
    Ann
    http://theapplestreetcottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. I like it.
    Pamela in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bench is lovely. It's amazing how paint can transform so many things. A brand new look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Super cute with the pillow and basket full of flowers.
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Tops For Spring

© love my simple home · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS