Beet Salad With Goat Cheese & Walnuts

in , by Julie Nichols, July 23, 2018
Hi, friends...One of my favorite root vegetables is beets!!   They are high in vitamins and minerals, high in dietary fiber and they contain healthy amounts of vitamin C, vitamin B, and iron.

beet-salad-with-goat-cheese-and-walnuts




You can purchase beets at the grocery store or you can make a trip to your local farm stand.  I purchased a bunch at the farm stand and decided to try them in a salad.  I usually buy red beets, but when I saw these orange beauties I thought I'd give them a try. They have a milder taste than the red ones, so if you're not a fan of beets these might be for you.  A 4-ounce orange beet contains about 42 calories and makes for a low-calorie healthy addition to your diet. They are also a good source of calcium.


Don't toss the greens!  Did you know you can eat the beet greens?  Chop them and saute them with olive oil and garlic.  They are delicious!

  Ingredients for the salad:
                                                               
                                                                  Beets red or orange

lettuce of your choice

goat cheese

walnuts

balsamic vinegar

extra virgin olive oil

Boil the beets, you can roast them if you'd like (I haven't tried that yet)  Let them cool to room temperature then peel, slice and arrange on a plate. Add lettuce, goat cheese, and walnuts.  Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil


ENJOY!

beet-salad-with-goat-cheese-and-walnuts

This makes for a nutritious lunch or snack!!

Psst, don't forget to save the juice after you boil the beets.  Drinking beet juice can give you stamina and energy! Who wouldn't love that!

SHARE 1 comment

Add your comment

  1. That looks so delicious Julie. I don't believe I've ever seen orange beets before, they sound like something my hubby would love. He's not to found of the red beets.

    ReplyDelete

© love my simple home · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS